After developing inert gas welding and creating the TIG torch, the MIG system soon emerged.
From 1948 to date, this type of welding has been widely used.
Both TIG and MIG are well known and used; However, there are differences between them that distinguish them.
MIG welding is a short circuit that, with its own characteristics, will generate a new piece due to the fusion of metals.
- 1 MIG or GMAW welding
- 2 The necessary equipment for MIG welding
- 3 MIG welding processes
- 4 Displacements and characteristic movements
- 5 Advantage
- 6 Limitations
- 6.1 Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder, 120V, Green
- 6.2 iMeshbean 10 Feet MIG Welding Gun Replacement Torch Stinger for Chicago Electric MIG Welders 94164/97503 / 36691/06098/ 36693/68885/ 93793
- 6.3 Weldpro Multi Function 3 tier Welding Cart. TIG, MIG, Stick or Plasma, gas bottle and accessory storage.
- 6.4 DEKOPRO 110/220V MMA Welder,160A ARC Welder Machine IGBT Digital Display LCD Hot Start Welder with Electrode Holder,Work Clamp, Input Power Adapter Cable and Brush
- 6.5 Lincoln Electric DynaMIG HD Professional MIG Welding Gloves | Comfort & Heat Resistance | Medium | K3806-M
- 6.6 Capri Tools Locking Welding Clamp, 3 Pieces
- 6.7 Timberland PRO Men's Pitboss 6" Steel-Toe Boot, Wheat , 9.5 D - Medium
- 6.8 Universal MIG Welding Cart, Rolling Welding Cart with Wheels for TIG MIG Welder, 110Lbs Capacity, Black
- 6.9 Hobart 770074 Welding Mig Accessory Nozzle Gel
- 6.10 Goplus MIG 130 Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding Machine
- 6.11 Super Deal PRO Commercial MIG 130 AC Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welder Welding Machine w/Free Mask 110V
- 6.12 2020 Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter Multi Process Welder with Dual Voltage 220V/110V Mig/Tig/Arc Stick 3 in 1 welder/welding machine
- 6.13 Lincoln Electric Magnum PRO 100SG Spool Gun | for Aluminum MIG Welding | Compatible with PowerMIG Machines | 10 FT Cable | K3269-1
- 6.14 Weller 9400PKS 120V Dual Heat 140/100W Universal Soldering Gun Kit with 6 Second Heat Up Time and LED Lighting
- 6.15 Soldering Iron Kit Solder Gun - 110V 80W Digital Solder Iron Temperature Adjustable Auto Standy Auto Shut Down Welding Tools Soldering Kit for Electronic Production/Soldering/Desoldering
- 6.16 Soldering Station, 65W Tilswall Solder Station Welding Iron with Smart Temperature Control (392°F-896°F), Extra 5pcs Soldering Tips, Built-in Transformer, Ideal for School Lab, Hobby, Electronics
- 6.17 7pcs Triangular/Round Speed Welding Nozzle with Tacking Nozzle Push Fit 5mm Standard Weld Tip for PVC Vinyl Flooring Plastic Hot Air Welder,Weld Nozzles for Fabrication and Car Bumpers Repairing
- 6.18 Miller Mig Welding Gun 250Amp 15Ft Welding Gun Torch Welder Gun M-25 Welding Torch Stinger Replacement for Miller H-10, H100S2-10 fit 0.030"-0.035" Wire (250Amp 15Ft)
- 6.19 WeldingCity MIG Welding Gun Torch Stinger Package 150Amp 12-ft Replacement for Miller Millermatic M-150/M-15 (249040)
- 6.20 YESWELDER Mig Welding Gun Torch Stinger 15ft (4.5m) 250 Amp Replacement for Miller M-25 169598 fit Millermatic 212 & 252
- 6.21 Happybuy 250Amp 15Ft Mig Welding Gun fit for Miller Welding Gun Torch Welder Gun M-25 Welding Torch Stinger Replacement fit for Miller M-25 Part Number 169598 fit 0.030"-0.035" Wire
- 6.22 YESWELDER 15ft 250A MIG Welding Gun Euro connection Replacement for Longevity Esab Tweco #2
- 6.23 Lincoln Electric, K2532-1, Magnum 100SG Spool Gun, Black
MIG or GMAW welding
Referring to it as GMAW welding will probably be understood only by those who know the area very well. In daily use, MIG is the term managed.
However, what its initials refer to is an arc welding process with inert gas metal.
Metal Inert Gas or Arc Welding Metal Gas refers to a fusion process achieved by an electric arc formed by a metal electrode and the part to be welded.
MIG uses inert gas as a protection against the effect of oxidation of the atmosphere on the electrode, which in this type of welding is a welding wire.
Unlike TIG welding, in which the tungsten electrode is not consumable, in MIG, the wire is consumed by melting with the part being welded.
The gas used is argon or a mixture of it with CO2. For welding protection, before undertaking the procedure, make sure that the tank has sufficient gas capacity and that everything is in order with its hoses.
The necessary equipment for MIG welding
This is a type of welding that requires certain specific equipment to have optimal results. Let’s start with the guns.
These have a system of traction and thrust that, when activated, gives way to gas, current, and wire. The latter can be pulled or pushed.
Some guns bring the reel of wire incorporated, allowing welding to meters of the equipment.
A characteristic of the steel wire is its copper cladding.
The wire that is usually used is of three types: solid wire for use with protective gas, tubular wire with a core of mineral powders also used with protective gas, and the tubular wire without gas with a core of dust that releases gas burning.
The use of this last wire is without gas.
The gas tank is commonly full of argon; however, helium or a mixture can be used for specific thicknesses.
To control the proper flow of gas output, regulators such as the pressure gauge and the flowmeter fulfill the pressure’s function.
In the same way and relation to the same aspect, hoses for gas and water conduct are necessary.
The rectifiers and converters are responsible for generating the necessary direct current and a cable with the appropriate caliber and, according to the amperage, will conduct it.
MIG welding processes
It is a versatile weld applied to aluminum alloys, non-ferrous materials, and steel with thin to medium thickness.
There are prior and important adjustments to be made before starting the welding procedure itself.
The current intensity influences the heat input, the dimension, and depth of weld penetration.
The arc voltage controls its profile, and the feed speed of the wire controls its intensity.
The adjustment and control of these parameters can be made semi-automatically, automatically, or robotically.
The robotic process is used at the industrial level, where a robot executes the programming.
The automatic form occurs when all adjustments are made previously, and the semi-automatic when combining a previous adjustment with the manual drag of the welding gun.
Displacements and characteristic movements
In MIG welding, the ideal position of the gun is horizontal.
In this position, it is achieved that the action of the protective gas is optimal and the smooth cords look good.
The most common displacement of the gun is from right to left, especially when welding aluminum.
This displacement is recommended to achieve better cords in quality and penetration in fine and medium thicknesses.
As for the movements, it is to imagine that pieces are sewn together to join them.
The welding can be linear, circular, impulse, or pendular.
The linear is perfect for use in thin plates for root cords.
The circular movement is adequate when the separation between the edges is large since a wide cord will prevent penetration.
Pulse welding is done with little material supply when thin cords are needed for small separations between the edges.
If the separation to be welded is substantial, then the recommended movement is the pendulum.
In it, quite wide cords are drawn that demand considerable contribution of material.
MIG welding has numerous advantages but also clear limitations.
Among its advantages can be mentioned:
- Large cords can be made without interruption or discontinuity. In this way, a good finish is achieved.
- The fact that the reel of wire is in the welder and that rollers push it allows us to avoid wasting time to replace electrodes.
- The efficiency of the electrode is calculated at 98 percent.
- It can be welded in any position without affecting excellent penetration.
- Welding in thin thicknesses is very easy.
- It produces few splashes and a clean welded surface.
As stated earlier, it also has limitations that MIG welding must consider before deciding on a MIG welding procedure.
- The equipment and technique are complex, demanding only skilled labor.
- The use of a gas tank makes it less portable.
- The cost of the equipment is much higher.
- Outdoor work is not recommended since air currents could cause the gas shield to exit the arc.
- For a good effect, MIG welding cannot use it on rusty surfaces or with any dirty.
Taking all these limitations into account will make the MIG welding procedure successful and safe.
It is worth remembering that when contemplating high temperatures and being exposed to ultraviolet rays, the operator’s protective equipment must be head to toe.
iMeshbean 10 Feet MIG Welding Gun Replacement Torch Stinger for Chicago Electric MIG Welders 94164/97503 / 36691/06098/ 36693/68885/ 93793
DEKOPRO 110/220V MMA Welder,160A ARC Welder Machine IGBT Digital Display LCD Hot Start Welder with Electrode Holder,Work Clamp, Input Power Adapter Cable and Brush
Lincoln Electric DynaMIG HD Professional MIG Welding Gloves | Comfort & Heat Resistance | Medium | K3806-M
Lincoln Electric Magnum PRO 100SG Spool Gun | for Aluminum MIG Welding | Compatible with PowerMIG Machines | 10 FT Cable | K3269-1
$291.67 in stock
Weller 9400PKS 120V Dual Heat 140/100W Universal Soldering Gun Kit with 6 Second Heat Up Time and LED Lighting
$36.45 in stock
Soldering Iron Kit Solder Gun - 110V 80W Digital Solder Iron Temperature Adjustable Auto Standy Auto Shut Down Welding Tools Soldering Kit for Electronic Production/Soldering/Desoldering
1 used from $37.50
Soldering Station, 65W Tilswall Solder Station Welding Iron with Smart Temperature Control (392°F-896°F), Extra 5pcs Soldering Tips, Built-in Transformer, Ideal for School Lab, Hobby, Electronics
1 used from $31.91
7pcs Triangular/Round Speed Welding Nozzle with Tacking Nozzle Push Fit 5mm Standard Weld Tip for PVC Vinyl Flooring Plastic Hot Air Welder,Weld Nozzles for Fabrication and Car Bumpers Repairing
Miller Mig Welding Gun 250Amp 15Ft Welding Gun Torch Welder Gun M-25 Welding Torch Stinger Replacement for Miller H-10, H100S2-10 fit 0.030"-0.035" Wire (250Amp 15Ft)
$42.67 in stock
1 used from $42.67